"A pediatrician is a medical doctor who manages the physical, behavioral, and mental care for children from birth until age 18. A pediatrician is trained to diagnose and treat a broad range of childhood illnesses." (Web MD)

Read more

Visit your child's pediatrician for a referral to be accessed for Autism Spectrum Disorder. 

Center for Disability and Development

Pediatrician's often refer to the local University Hospital's Center for Disability and Development. Here trained physicians will access your child and make a diagnosis for Autism Spectrum Disorder. 

Special Education Teacher

"Special education teachers work with students who have a wide range of learning, mental, emotional, and physical disabilities." Special Education teachers work closely with children diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Read more

Individualized Education Plan

"For kids to receive special education services, they need an IEP — an Individualized Education Program." This plan for your child's reading, writing, math, adaptive behavior, speech goals, and more are discussed, written, and carried out by a team of education professionals along with the child's parent or guardian. 

Read more

Applied Behavior Analysis Therapy

"Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) is a type of therapy that focuses on improving specific behaviors, such as social skills, communication, reading, and academics as well as adaptive learning skills, such as fine motor dexterity, hygiene, grooming, domestic capabilities, punctuality, and job competence. ABA is effective for children and adults with psychological disorders in a variety of settings, including schools, workplaces, homes, and clinics. ABA is commonly practiced as a therapeutic intervention for individuals with autism." (Psychology Today)

Read more

Speech Therapists

"Speech-language pathologists (SLPs), often called speech therapists, are educated in the study of human communication, its development, and its disorders. SLPs assess speech, language, cognitive-communication, and oral/feeding/swallowing skills. This lets them identify a problem and the best way to treat it." (Kids Health)

Read more

Occupational Therapist

"Occupational therapists study human growth and development and a person’s interaction with the environment through daily activities. They are experts in the social, emotional, and physiological effects of illness and injury. This knowledge helps them promote skills for independent living in people with autism and other developmental disorders." (WebMD)

Read more

Feeding Therapy

"Autism and food aversions often go hand in hand. Children can refuse to eat specific foods for a number of reasons including smell, texture, color, or simply because they’ve never tried it before. Feeding therapy expands the child’s food preferences, introduce new foods to the child’s diet, and decrease the problem behaviors associated with feeding." (BCOTB)

Read more

Family Navigator

University Hospitals often have Family Navigators who assist Autism families in locating therapies, application for waivers, and support services. Ask your local hospital for this important resource. 

Disability Waiver

Children and young adults with developmental disabilities may be eligible for a disability waiver to pay for specialized therapies and services. This can cut costs dramatically. Apply with your local department of Healthcare and Family Services Department.